HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My thermostat is blank and the breker is tripped at the

Customer Question
My thermostat is blank...

My thermostat is blank and the breker is tripped at the outside unit. I turned the breaker on and hooked the red and green wire from the thermostat together and the fan came on. When I was installing the green wire back to the thermostat ( red wire was not installed) the screen came back on intermittently. when I made the connection it was still blank. The breaker at the unit was not tripped.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I do not know.The screen went blank last night and the heat quit working.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can. MY son is experienced in electrical work and he will help me.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
1/7/2018
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 1 month ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Do you have a volt meter and can you test from the R to the C terminal at the thermostat for 24-27 volts AC?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will have to find meter

OK check that and let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will have to find meter I will take a while if I can find it at all
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will have to find meter I will take a while if I can find it at all are you still there
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I get a case number ***** get back to you. We are renovating and my tools are packed up

Yes I am online just post when you got it note I am helping other customers and there is a delay in responses just post here bookmark this URL

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
0 reading

What likely happened is the low voltage fuse in the furnace or airhandler blew. There typically is a SLOT STYLE 3-5AMP FUSE on the board itself inside the furnace/airhandler like this.

CLICK HERE

If that is burned out all power to the thermostat will be lost. 95% of all units use some sort of SLOT FUSE or inline BUS STYLE FUSE to protect the low voltage circuit. You need to find that and change it out. If you just bump two wires together you could have just popped it without even knowing it. Now if for some reason your unit does not use a fuse often the board will be damaged due to the short. You would need to confirm you have 24 volts to the board inside the furnace/airhandler with a volt meter to make sure though.

Note if you have a condensate pump check the float and make sure the pump is not full of water...as that could cut low voltage power to the unit as well if the pump is not working and full of water.

I hope that I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here for payment and will receive nothing unless a rating is given. Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is air handler revering to the outside unit or unit in the attic? Is there a fuse in the outside unit?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is air handler reffering to the outside unit or unit in the attic? Is there a fuse in the outside unit?

No no fuse on the outside unit the one in the attic

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. Would that cause the breaker outside to trip? It smells like electrical wires burning when I open the outside panel.

It could if something is shorted

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have two units outside ( upstairs and downstairs). The upstairs is working. There are two breakers in the panel outside. Only one was tripped
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have two units outside ( upstairs and downstairs). The upstairs is working. There are two breakers in the panel outside. Only one was tripped. Is the air handler in the attic only hooked up to one unit or both?

It could be hooked to both or one it just depends on how it was wired. This sounds like you may need an electrician or HVAC tech onsite to see what has failed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If it is hooked to both, then could it still be the pump in the airhandler in the attic. The tray is dry. Do you think the failure is in the unit outside. if the short is in the outside unit, would that have caused the thermostat to go blank when the breaker tripped?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still there?

I would check the unit in the attic, but a short from the outside unit goes to the insie unit in the attic as well so it could have blown the fuse on the board in the attic unit. Check the board on the airhandler in the attic

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH