HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My hot water heater is out. I held the button for 60

Customer Question
My hot water heater...

My hot water heater is out. I held the button for 60 seconds, it started to run, then stopped and the red lockout button came on again. I did it again and the same thing happened. There is another box about half way up on the tank that has a yellow light which says call for heat

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Where is the filter?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it's not too complicated

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's all I got

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
It is a carlin ez temp 9000b.
I tried to reset the thermostat box, the one with the yellow light that reads "call for heat," but it wont reset
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/6/2018
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 6 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

This is an oil fired water heater? If so when is the last time the burner was tuned up?

it is oil, and I would say about a year ago. The burner is working, just the how water tank is not

The burner is running when you reset but its' not firing. So that's why you have no hot water. Sounds like it's time for another tuneup.

There seems to be an issue with your account please contact customer service if you want to talk. We can continue here if you like.

But I have heat.
What does a tuneup involve? And I've gone longer without a tuneup and this has never happened.

Do you have a boiler and a water heater (tank)? Tune up involves resetting burner parameters, replacing the nozzle, setting electrodes, checking burner components. Doesn't matter what happened in the past. Burner should be tuned up every year and your description indicates your's is out of adjustment which is why it's not firing

I have a boiler and a water tank.

Then my original answer still applies. You need a burner tech. Hitting the reset is all you can do

thank you

You're welcome