HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Desa Vented Decorative Natural Gas Log fireplace.

Customer Question
I have a Desa...

I have a Desa Vented Decorative Natural Gas Log fireplace. When I ignite the pilot light it wont stay lit. Hold it in for 30 seconds but it keeps going out.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, what type of fireplace is this?

It was a log burning fireplace and was converted to natural gas

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on whats wrong with it

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The pilot light did light a couple weeks ago and the flame stayed on, but since then it's gone out again

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/6/2018
HVAC Technician: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 8 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

M​ost likely the problem is a weak thermocouple or pilot generator. If you hold the flame on longer, 3-5mins and then slowly release it, see if it will stay on then, if not then the thermocouple or generator needs replacing as it is too weak to keep the gas valve open.

Here is a link to a sample pilot generator as an example, it is the large round sensor, the thermocouple looks similar but is much thinner.

https://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/p/750-millivolt-pg9-style-pilot-generator-p212500

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

No thanks.

Okay and thanks for letting me know, in order to close out the question it requires a rating from you as explained below, and enjoy the new year.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave