HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

When I switched my heat pump unit form the AC to the heat…

Customer Question
When I switched my...

When I switched my heat pump unit form the AC to the heat mode the breaker tripped off line. I replaced the start and rum compressor capacitors also noticed the the starting relay was burned and pitted so replaced that. I am still getting high current that is triping the breaker . Is this an indication of a bad starting winding in the compressor or has something gone wrong with the unit when I went from cool to heat mode

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I have heat running through the restistive coils in the indoor unit that is running ok the temp is set at 70 and the filters are good. it is the condenser unit outside that is tripping off line . Note they are on serperate breakers

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I want to check what is causing the high current flow. and see what I can do. If the comressor is bad I will get me tech here they are all very busy because of the cold here in Florida. What to be able to identify what is wrong

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What is the best way to check the comprssor windings are the issue

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 2 days by:
1/8/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

If compressor operates in cool mode, the compressor is not the issue. Will it still come on and run without tripping breaker in cool mode? Also what is model on outdoor unit?