HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a rodgers 50a50-241 with a error code of 3 blinks it…

Customer Question
I have a white...

I have a white rodgers 50a50-241 with a error code of 3 blinks it will not start the burner the small fan is running

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I want to check to see what is happening first I might call depending on what it is

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/6/2018
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 7 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy.

Can you tell me if the exhaust fan ( small motor attached to vent pipe) is warm.hot, cold?

warm after running a few hours and the furnace not starting

Ok the reason I ask...the 3 code means pressure switch is stuck open or closed...

one of the causes for it to be open is a bad exhaust fan. So do you know while the code 3 blinks does/has the exhaust motor been running?

there is the vacuum piece it feeds and I tried jumping that and it did hot help

Ok, the furnace gets a call for heat....exhaust fan starts....but 3 code appears?

And when you tried jumping "that" are you referring to the pressure switch?

when you jumped...did you do this?

turn power off

remove wires from pressure switch and hold apart

turn power on

AFTER (important) AFTER the exhaust fan starts connect the 2 wires direct together

what voltage is suppose to be going thru the pressure switch not exactly like that but I had that motor fail a year ago and I was able to override it let me go try again

24v goes through the air switch...but the air from the exhaust fan pulls air through the rubber tube like a straw and closes a switch.

We cannot jump the pressure switch until AFTER the exhaust motor starts.

Then we make sure the tube is good no holes or cracks.

Then we pull the tube from the furnace side and poke a paperclip or small drill all the way through.

Make sure vent pipe is clear with no obstructions

let me go check the voltage to see if it is there and going thru

standing by

I was able to jump it and get it to run after the house gets warm again I will try and see if the exhaust fan is pulling enough vacuum or if it is plugged or what the problem is I should be able to get it from here is there a place I can down load the error codes or at least look them up

please make sure the the vent is not plugged and exhaust is going out properly...this is a safety switch that says "the vent is clear" so running it bypassed must require being monitored.

Check the list above of things to check.

I wish you the best

Billy

thanks

you are welcome, just rate service (5 star system) to close.

Thank you,

Billy