HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My 5 year ol G61 MP gas furnace works fine except that it…

Customer Question
My 5 year ol...

My 5 year ol G61 MP gas furnace works fine except that it will not restart by itself after a power failure. I have to flip the on-off switch--every time.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the pilot light?

My thermostat is fine and I don't know where the pilot light is. Would flipping the on-off pilot light reignite a pilot?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'm 78 years old--and having spent big bucks on this high performance furnace I was assuming I didn't have to be bothered. Wish I'd kept my old one which was working just fine--less complicated--and always restarted!

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Thanks but this seems to be a waste of time.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/5/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, at 78 you have me beat by a year I am 77.

The shorts answer is that you will need to learn to live with it... that phenomena is a side effect of a system with at least 2 sometimes 3 interactive/ communicating micro computers on board.

.

Turning the thermostat OFF then back ON, is what we call a "soft reset"... it is needed when the high limit switch trips, or the igniter fails 3 times in a row, or, in your case when the printed circuit board experiences a glitch during a power failure. The service companies will be more than happy to send someone out at $125 and hour + travel expenses... and they will find absolutely nothing to repair.. some will sell you a new $400 printed circuit board.

.

We can discuss that in any depth and for as long as needed.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.