HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My father's Ultra 155 installed in 2012 is shutting off with…

Customer Question
My father's Ultra 155...

My father's Ultra 155 installed in 2012 is shutting off with the cold temperatures. My plumber (who installed it) has been in the house each day for the past 5 days and it is off again today. Solutions?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It happened 2 times at the end of last winter and now for about a week and a half.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. My father passed away two weeks ago and the house is empty, but heated. The people who installed have repeatedly gone in and started it again. We are a near 0 temps so it is important to have the heat.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes, the thermostats have been checked and reset and the filters as well as the gas regulator has been checked. It seems to do ok until the temps go below 32 and then it shuts off. I obviously am looking for trouble shooting - they do not seem to be fixing it or finding the problem.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/5/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, click here for the manual please, and tell me the temperature in the room where the boiler is when it drops below 32F outside, so far I suspect condensate in the pressure switch tubing....

.

We can go from there without a time limit.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I am not sure - it is in the basement. The thermostat usually show around 43-45 on the first floor. It is an older home - concrete basement and walls. Plumber thinks it is when outside temp is below 32 -
I would rather not talk as I am 100 miles from the boiler - I will relay answers to my family so they can ask if these things have been checked.

These are complex issues, in this case a live phone call would work IF the person at the job site has a multi meter and some technical skills... these boilers are anything but simple. Even on site, diagnosis of this sort of problem as you already know can be difficult.

.