HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

The yellow light on my Rheem classic 90 plus is out and

Customer Question
The yellow light on...

The yellow light on my Rheem classic 90 plus is out and furnace isn't turning on

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

The regular air filter? What do I need to check with that?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think the flame is out

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Tell me about the middle (OK) gren.Is it flashing? If so count blinks between pauses

It is flashing and there are 2 blinks between pauses

THanks for this information. The 2 blink code indicates a problem with the pressure switch.The small vent inducer has to come on and stay on pulling and holding a vacuum on the pressure switch in order for furnace to operate.
Troubleshooting the cause can be time consuming and may require us to have a volt meter for testing voltage and continuity as well as a manometer to check vacuum on the switch.Without these we are limited to what we can check.

Below are the most common reasons for the error

1.Blocked intake or exhaust vent(This can be a small as a spider web or dirt dauber in vent)

2.Blocked condensate drain (No water should e standing any drain hoses)

3.Loose,restricted or cracked hose from inducer fan ti pressure switch ( Visual inspection will verify if hse is cracked or loose. Hose can be removed and fittings cleaned with a straightened paper clip)

4.Bad pressure switch (we would need a meter and manometer to test)

Lets start by verifying that the vent motor is coming on when you call for heat

How do you check that the vent motor is coming on? It shows on my thermostat that the furnace is on but I don't hear anything from the furnace.

Turn thermostat off. Then power off to furnace and then back on.THat will reset board. The call for heat at thermostat and remove panel on furnace .Look and listen to see if the small vent motor comes on.

https://i.imgur.com/xmXZlNf.png

I didn't hear any motor come back on. And the light didn't start blinking right away. Took about 3 minutes for them to start blinking

OK that little motor where vent connects HAS to come on first to close the pressure switch.

Problem is going to be one of 2 things:
1.Motor is stuck or burned up

2.Board is not sending power to little motor.

Can you try to spin the little fan blade using a small screwdriver to see if it will turn? And do you have a volt meter to see if we get power to the little motor?

I'm not sure which fan blade I'm supposed to spin. Is it in the top panel and part of the black blower?I do not have a volt meter

Yes remove top panel and take me a pic and attach here using add file button I will point it out.

THanks. Now it appears you can not access the blade on yours to try to spin.

From here,We would need a meter to troubleshoot. If you have a meter let me know .If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you would like to troubleshoot and I would be happy to guide you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665

AS stated either this motor is bad or it is not getting power