HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Need advice on issue with millivolt control valve 27D8006…

Customer Question
Need advice on issue...

Need advice on issue with millivolt control valve 27D8006 with 27D7027 pilot with thermopile. System has been in use since 2012. Replaced pilot one year ago when thermopile failed. Pilot started going out three days ago, but would light and stay lit allowing operation. On third day it would not stay lit when the control button was released and moved to “on.” The thermopile outputs in excess of 325 millivolt after warming by pilot when disconnected. I get no readings whenconnected to the terminals; the terminal block shows some discoloration from heat, but no wires are burned. I recall that the wvoltage output was much higher when i installed the new pilot (> 600 mv). Do I need a new thermopile or is the controller bad?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

This is a fireplace log set MAJVWF24SPA

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Actuall the last three letters for the burner were NVC. I do plan to do the work myself, and I’m hoping it is not the control valve...

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don’t think so.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/5/2018
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

I'd start with a new thermopile since output of existing one is marginal at best. I'm assuming this pilot assembly doesn't also have a thermocouple which is not uncommon on gas logs.

Correct. I will contact the company I bought the pilot from last year and see if they are able to help.ThanksCraig

You're welcome

Seriously? $36 for that answer?

I don't set the price. I just answer questions. We could have continued trouble shooting this if you are/were so inclined. If you have payment questions contact customer service. I'm not allowed to discuss payment issues.