HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My furnace will start heat then shuts off won't restart. The…

Customer Question
My furnace will start...

My furnace will start heat then shuts off won't restart

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes the temp is set at 70 will not restart until it gets to 60

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have had a survice man out he changed the thermostat. He doesn't work on colman

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am getting a code' y signal to thermostat no g

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 7 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Is there any error code flashing on the board in the furnace?

4 flashing lights y signal to thermostat no g

That is a thermal rollout issue. There are high limit safety thermostats that are around the burner housing area that can trip open if they fail or the unit is overheating. Some of these have reset buttons on them that you can manually press down to reset while others do not. The ones that do not either are one time limits or are limits that are suppose to manually reset when cooled down. Now that does not always happen when they go bad so you will have to check them for continuity with an ohm meter across the two leads going to them. If you do not pwn a ohm meter you can physically bypass each rollout to make sure it is good by connecting the two wires to each rollout sensor together to see if the unit will then operate. Now once you have found the bad one you can change it out or reset it and then you should check your furnace filter for blockages and make sure you main furnace blower is running to speed. These two things can cause a unit to overheat and trip one of these rollout sensors. Mosts units have 3 of these devices and here is a link to what they can look like on your unit.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

I hope that I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here for payment and will receive nothing unless a rating is given. Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.