HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

The furnace isn't kicking in. We have a code of 3 flashing…

Customer Question
The furnace isn't kicking...

The furnace isn't kicking in. We have a code of 3 flashing green lights. My niece and nephew put snow into the white pvc pipes yesterday. I thought they had cleared them back out, but I went out and shop vac'd any remaining snow. I turned the thermastat off and back on as well as a switch inside the furnace cover. Still nothing.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Larger problem

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Hopefully

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/5/2018
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 6 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

What's the brand and model of your unit?

Keeprite Model N9MSE0601410A1

You've confirmed that you have a draft issue. The question is do you have a bad switch or a weak fan ( is the draft fan running?) or a blocked exhaust vent. You can check the vent for blockages and also the vac tubing connected to the switch. Be sure the tubing is not kinked, deteriorated or doesn't have water in it. You can also poke a paper clip into the port where the tubing connects but not into the switch connection. If all that checks out. Turn the power off to the unit wait a couple minutes then turn it back on. After the fan starts remove one of the leads from the pressure switch and connect it to the other lead. If the sequence continues then you may have a faulty pressure switch or possibly a weak fan. The next thing we would do is put a manometer on the exhaust to check the actual draft pressure but you aren't likely to have a manometer and they are expensive. Replacing the switch is one other option since it's less money than a manometer (or a new draft fan) and it is a likely culprit.