HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My furnace is not blowing heat. I turned system off and then…

Customer Question
My furnace is not...

My furnace is not blowing heat

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

I turned system off and then turned it on again but it did not start up I tried the air conditioning it turned on then I tried heat again but it did not fire up

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I was looking for a temporary fix it is 63 degrees in the house now one of coldest days on record

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

[email protected] is 17 years old

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/5/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, there is something wrong with the furnace, If you are handy I can coach on how to diagnose the problem and possibly replace the parts yourself. You will need a multi meter.

.

Most likely are the following in no particular order:

1. Tubes connected to pressure switch have water or debris in them (easy fix)

2, Igniter module failed ( takes some modest skills to replace)

3. Filter is dirty and causing low air flow through furnace and it trips high limit switch or bad high limit switch (takes modest skills)

4, Printed circuit board is bad (takes significant skill to replace).

5. Flame roll out switch is tripped (modest skill to reset)

6. Flame sensor rod is dirty (modest skills to locate, remove and clean).

7. Gas valve is bad and needs replaced (significant skills).

8. Bad wire connection, bad transformer, electrical short in wiring (significant skills)

9. Zone control panel, relay in panel or damper motor failed (significant skills)

10. Replace thermostat, moderate skills.

11. Diagnose bad 3 speed motor and replace (moderate skills)

12. Diagnose and repair variable speed motor (significant skills)

14. Any *intermittent problem. Significant skills.

----------- in addition.

15. For boiler/ hot water heating. air trapped in the system (moderate skills)

16. Diagnose taco zone control relay, valves and pumps (significant skills)

17, Flush tankless water heater with white vinegar (significant skills)

All of the above includes vendor, repair service and parts sourcing within limits. You are expected to rate my work positively after the first hour of work in order to receive these extended services that go well beyond "Just a simple Answer"

All of the above is included in your agreed upon charge, unless you want a phone call $25.

Premium services ------------

If you lack skills in some areas I will submit a premium service offer for the following:

18. Engineering and design services includes CAD drawings and calculations (several hundred dollars in most cases)

19. Course room style training and testing

The furnace is blowing heat again after I replaced air filter thanx

Good work!

Its time to rate my efforts, that gets me paid, locate the "Finish and rate your expert" link near the top of your page and click on it. Thanks!

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer