HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a tempstar gas furnace. Its a 92% 80,000 btu furnace.

Customer Question
The flames come on for...
I have a tempstar gas furnace. Its a 92% 80,000 btu furnace. The flames come on for about 3-5 minutes and then they go out. The light blinks 4 times indicating an open limit. The blower stays on cools down the main limit then it fires again, over and over again. The filter is good, more then enough return air and all the supplies are open. I did jump out the 2 smaller limits, both of them proved to be good. So I got a main limt from the supply house and still the same thing. After awhile and a dozen head scratches I disconnected the wires from the main limit and attached them to the original one and let it hang outside the furnace the flames stayed on for every bit of ten minutes. Now what?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/5/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, the furnace should have stayed indefinitely with the main limit hanging loose, look for an auxiliary limit switch, those are sometimes mounted on the main blower and jumper that if you find it.

AND for a brief test ONLY, jumper that limit switch that you removed from the furnace... if it still goes out after 10 or 15 minutes then its a bad printed circuit board most likely not the limit switch.

.

We can go from there without any time limits

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.