HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My heat is not working because they said that the PEX pipe…

Customer Question
My heat is not working...
My heat is not working because they said that the PEX pipe is frozen. What can I do to fix this? Can I put some type of heat wrap?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/5/2018
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 7 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

How much of the pex pipe is frozen? Also what are the temps in the area of the piping?

I don’t know how much of the pex pipe is frozen. I don’t want to rip apart walls and ceilings.
Are u still online?

Do you have some space heaters or something where you can get the temperature up in the area? You will have to get the temp up in the area to melt the freeze. Do you have an idea of where it is frozen?

I was told that this would not help because The heat from the heAter will not reach all the way down where the pipe is frozen.

Are the pipes in the floor or where are they exactly in concrete or where?

I think they go to the basement near the garage. How would I thaw out this pipe. ?

I would get a heater and heat the area up really hot and they will thaw. If you get the area hot enough it will thaw out just like it froze. That is what I would do, get some spaceheaters and get the area super warm and they will thaw out. That is basically all you can do to thaw the pex out.

I hope that I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here for payment and will receive nothing unless a rating is given. Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I did that already , but the heat didn’t reach the frozen area. What else can I do?

You would then have to expose the pipes to get heat to them are they in the walls if you so may want to do that anyways to better insulate them to prevent this from happening. It will be frozen wherever it is closest to the outer wall or passes between a wall to another area close to an outer wall.

What about some type of heat wrap/tape that I read about?

Yes but still you would need to get to the PEX lines you said you can not they are in the walls?

But if I cut away a piece of wall, and put and put this wrap in the pex pipe, would that work? Is it safe to put it on Pex pipe?

Yes you can add it to PEX just follow the manufacturer recommendations. If you can find the spot try to just insulate it better to keep that from happening .

This is what I wanted to know. What can I use?

This stuff is the best to use.

CLICK HERE

Can be used on Pex

Yes

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!

I have never done this before. What am i supposed to do?

Sine this is going beyond the scope of the original question into a new subject you either need to rate my service now 3 stars or higher for me to continue or select the offer more.