HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We've paid $8500 of an $11K contract to have a heat pump…

Customer Question
We've paid $8500 of an...
We've paid $8500 of an $11K contract to have a heat pump HVAC system put into our home, including vent and duct work. The duct work is done and the unit was installed, but they've had a lot of problems getting the unit working. It's been over a month since they started work. Their main workman spent 12 hours at our house yesterday. He thinks the unit is now working, but he wasn't able to get the thermostat to turn it on.My wife is concerned that even when (if?) they get it working, we might have a lemon. In case they refuse to replace the unit, which seems likely, she wants a 5 year warranty on the job from them.Are there lemon HVAC units? If so, can we insist on a warranty like that before we pay the remainder?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/5/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, click here please, tell me if this is what you have or not.

I need to know the rest of that model number and the size of your house and nearest city so that I can assess the tonnage, I also need to know if you have this system zoned or not (you will know if you do)

.

A bit about myself, I am 77 with 58 years in the business, and will be examining this situation for you. There is no time limit

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

It's oblong, according to the proposal it's actually https://www.carrier.com/residential/en/us/products/heat-pumps/25hha4/ , which matches what I see.Thanks!

Thanks, ***** ***** a heat pump, they come in sizes from 2 tons to 5 tons, the full model number on the unit outside will tell me how many tons it is... that link you sent is a reference to the product line... but does tell me the size of the unit.

.

Got me that, and we can go from there

Not at home right now, proposal says 3 ton
I'm in Coastside between Pacifica and Half Moon Bay, CA. It's 1370 ft^2.

Hello again, thats pretty country I used to travel that coast a lot between Santa Cruz and San Francisco and even north to Oregon.

Rule of thumb rules for sizing HVAC inland in the sacramento valley is 500 square feet of floor space per ton... on the coast where you are 3 tons is over kill

.

You are in an area that will not support competent contractor who wants to do a lot of work and gets real good at it... so mistakes could easily have been made, first mistake was using a 3 ton unit in a place where 2 tons would have been the maximum size that should have been installed... unless you had several hundred square feet of glass facing west... then 3 tons would have been warranted.

We can continue to discuss this... meantime hold the 3,500 until the system works flawlessly for 90 days... and... until we are finished discussing it.

Tell me in detail what sort of problems you are having please