HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My husband just knocked our iComfort S30 Smart Thermostat…

Customer Question
My husband just knocked...

My husband just knocked our iComfort S30 Smart Thermostat off the wall and the screen is now blank. It dropped about 4 feet. What to do next??

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

My app does not work either so I think it is just the thermostat.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

What work is involved?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just asking if dropping the thermostat from 4 feet has ruined the thermostat?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 7 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

It could be broken, but do you have a volt meter to confirm this?

We do have a volt meter but I do not know where it is.

Ok if you can find it see if you have 24 volts AC from the R to the C terminal. If you do then yes something was damaged on the thermostat during the fall. If you do not what likely happened is the low voltage fuse in the furnace or airhandler blew. There typically is a SLOT STYLE 3-5AMP FUSE on the board itself inside the furnace/airhandler like this.

CLICK HERE

If that is burned out all power to the thermostat will be lost. 95% of all units use some sort of SLOT FUSE or inline BUS STYLE FUSE to protect the low voltage circuit. You need to find that and change it out. If you just bump two wires together you could have just popped it without even knowing it. Now if for some reason your unit does not use a fuse often the board will be damaged due to the short. You would need to confirm you have 24 volts to the board inside the furnace/airhandler with a volt meter to make sure though.

Note if you have a condensate pump check the float and make sure the pump is not full of water...as that could cut low voltage power to the unit as well if the pump is not working and full of water.

I hope that I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here for payment and will receive nothing unless a rating is given. Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!

I just noticed a $23 charge to my account. I am not satisfied with this discussion as it does not answer my question. I will have the charge reversed. Sad to say, I have been burned twice by this site. I will not be using it again.