HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have 2 Carrier furnaces that are a few months old but are…

Customer Question
I have 2 Carrier...

I have 2 Carrier furnaces that are a few months old but are not coming on

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Brand new

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Was hoping for maybe a quick fix .. If not then I have to wait for repairman

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Thermostat is set above the temperature ... Says heating, but not blowing any air

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
Now the fan is coming on for a few minutes and then going off. Not blowing hot air
doing that over and over again
1/4/2018
HVAC Technician: Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector replied 6 months ago
Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector

Hello, This could be several things. The most common, would be a blockage in either the exhaust or the condensate line, which would do that. Are you in a cold area? Check those things first. If that is not it, it may take a lot more diagnostic, that a tech would have to do onsite. I hope this helps.

Inspector & Building Analyst- J Baker

I'm in New Jersey and getting the cold snow storm right now. Could high winds cause this, by blowing the exhaust back down?
Fan keeps coming on and off, when it is on it is blowing warm air

yes, and it depends on the type of furnace. A natural drafting furnace would do that for sure. Yours might have a blower for the exhaust which would keep this from happening, unless you are having really heavy winds, its still a possibility. However, it could also be that condensate line blocked. Check the exhaust, and the condensate line, if it is there, it will be small PVC. I hope this helps.

J Baker

OK, if the line is blocked or frozen, how would I clear it?

There should be a drain trap, and breather tube. Blow into the breather tube to see if it is clogged. If you hear your air coming out of the furnace where the pvc comes out, you may need to pull off the cover and block condensate drain. If it is blocked, you will have to clean out, which will require some plumbing experience, If it is frozen, you can use a space heater to thaw. A lot of people in your area are dealing with frozen condensate lines, and natural drafting furnaces with no blower on the exhaust are back drafting.

J Baker