HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Rheem Classic IX that came with a home I recently…

Customer Question
I have a Rheem...

I have a Rheem Classic IX that came with a home I recently purchased. However, there was no thermostat in the home. The wires coming out of the wall are all the traditional ones: Blue, Orange, Green, Yellow, White, Red.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

There are also black and brown wires. However, they're cut smooth. I'm not sure if that is because they were not in use or because the bare copper broke off.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/4/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, you will need a multi meter to do a few tests for me, and I will need the brand and model number of the unit that sits outside the house.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower, , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.