HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

The electrician was here this morning and had more

Customer Question
questions. Is the connection to...
The electrician was here this morning and had more questions. Is the connection to the generator panel to be 220V. Where exactly the new connection will be - yellow&black (see attached photo). With this new connection will I need to use only the option of "heat pump only" on my control thermostat so that the heat coils doesn't goes on when the generator is supplying the power? Presently I am on "System in control".
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/4/2018
HVAC Technician: Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician

hi i am dan i can help you with this. can you describe your situation a little better as what exactly you are trying to do with the system?

Answer and reply from your service on Dec. 27, 2017
I just install a new electrical panel to be able to use a generator in case of electrical power supply failure. In the part of the panel for the generator use I have the geothermal heat pump unit Model 50YDS049NCD301 - Serial 4308V65160 but is not working because the coil and fan are on the main panel with the electric heater as one large packages with a need of too much amperage to connect to my generator package. My question is it possible to have a separate connection of the coil + fan (model FE4A FE5A) and the heater installed on top.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The heat pump is not working if the coil, fan and heater breaker is off

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No I used an electrician for the new panel and will use the same to make the corrections. I am not home now and only be back in one week but I like to correct the situation soon after my return.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Need a way to separate the connection for the coil and fan from the heater which need too much power for my generator.27 December 2017 12:52
27 December 2017 01:03
airheatman
HVAC Technician
Absolutely you can run a seperate power supply directly from the electrical panel to the heat kit only.27 December 2017 01:08
airheatman
HVAC Technician
You will connect the circuit that will be supplied to generator to the yellow and black factory wires in the air handler and connect the higher amp breaker directly to the heat kit.My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic, request me again.

OK THANK YOU FOR THAT, JUST TO CONFIRM YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO RUN JUST THE FAN AND ELECTRIC HEAT IN THE AIR HANDLER WHEN USING THE GENERATOR CORRECT?

I want to run the coil for the heat pump and the fan on one breaker associated with the generator. Panel seperate from the electric heat coil.

OK UNFORTUNATELY YOU CAN NOT RUN THE HEAT PUMP UNIT AND THE FAN IN THE AIR HANDLER FROM ONE CIRCUIT BREAKER. THE MAIN REASON BEING ELECTRICAL CODES WILL NOT ALLOW IT AS THEY ARE 2 SEPARATE APPLIANCES AND REQUIRE THEIR OWN CIRCUIT BREAKER, ALSO THE CIRCUIT BOARD IN THE AIR HANDLER NEEDS TO BE POWERED TO RUN THE CONTROLS ON THE SYSTEM WHICH MEANS THE WHOLE AIR HANDLER NEEDS TO BE POWERED WHICH WILL INCLUDE THE ELECTRIC HEAT. THE WAY TO DO WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO DO IS DURING GENERATOR POWER YOU RUN THE SYSTEM IN HEAT PUMP ONLY MODE AND THE ELECTRIC HEAT won't COME ON. THE HEAT PUMP UNIT FAN AND CIRCULATORS WILL RUN. FOR AN ADDED LEVEL OF SECURITY TO PREVENT THE ELECTRIC HEAT FROM RUNNING YOU CAN HAVE YOUR ELECTRICIAN INSTALL A TOGGLE SWITCH ON THE AIR HANDLER THAT DISABLES THE ELECTRIC HEAT. OR YOU CAN USE JUST THE FAN AND ELECTRIC HEAT AND DISABLE THE HEAT PUMP AS LONG AS THE ELECTRIC HEAT BY ITSELF IS NOT TOO MUCH FOR THE GENERATOR.

OK IF YOU RUN JUST THE ELECTRIC HEATER ON A SEPERATE BREAKER THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO DISCONNECT THE BLACK AND YELLOW WIRE GOING TO THE ELECTRIC HEATERS AND CONNECT THE POWER FROM THE NEW BREAKER TO THOSE 2 WIRES.

Where do we connect the cable for the electric heat coil now? What happen when the main power is back? Will the fan work with the electric heat coil also.

RIGHT NOW THE POWER FOR THE ELECTRIC HEAT IS CONNECTED TO THE SAME POWER SUPPLY FOR THE CONTROLS AND FAN. YOU WANT TO RUN THE ELECTRIC HEAT ON A SEPARATE POWER SOURCE SO WE FIRST NEED TO ISOLATE IT. WE ONLY NEED TO ISOLATE THE HIGH VOLTAGE CIRCUIT OF THE ELECTRIC HEAT. THE LOW VOLTAGE CIRCUIT MUST STAY CONNECTED. ONCE THE BLACK AND YELLOW WIRES ARE DISCONNECTED FROM THE MAIN POWER THEY WILL NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO THE WIRES COMING FROM THE BREAKER THAT IS NOT FOR THE GENERATOR. WHEN THE MAIN POWER IS OON EVERYTHING WILL WORK NORMALLY. BASICALLY, IT IS JUST THE ELECTRIC HEATERS THAT DONT GET POWER WHEN IN GENERATOR MODE.

IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW OR IF THIS HAS HELPED YOU I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU COULD RATE ME ON MY SERVICE BY SELECTING ONE OF THE 5 STARS ON YOUR PAGE SO WE MAY CLOSE THIS QUESTION.

I ask my electrician to share your answers with more experience electrician to understand fully the direction you want us to follow and obtain the result expected. This will need a few days before I know if I have more questions and rate you. If we need your help could we communicate by Skype or Facetime. If yes I need your Skype address or Facetime#.
Thanks

I AM CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE FOR FACETIME SUPPORT BUT WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP YOU IN Q&A FORMAT.