HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Weil Mclain boiler gold oil that is not turning on.

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a Weil Mclain boiler gold oil that is not turning on. There is a red light on that will not go off

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

We have tried resetting and power cycled

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Since this morning

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It ran out of oil at a point and we refilled. There is fuel

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/4/2018
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 6 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

If you ran out of oil you do need to purge the air from the oil line. To do this you need a 3/8" (typically) open end wrench, a small container to catch the oil and a small piece of 1/4" od rubber tubing (the tubing isn't vital it just makes it a little easier). Locate the bleed fitting on the oil pump (on the left side of the oil burner where the oil line connects) it has a hex with a small hose barb protruding. Position your container directly below it. Loosen the hex. You will get a little oil and maybe a few bubbles. Now hit the reset button on the burner control and let it run until it’s a steady stream of oil (no bubbles). Tighten the hex back up and you're done. The burner should fire up once you close off the bleeder. You may need to hit the reset more than once. If your ignition control (the device with the reset button on the burner) is a Honeywell R7184 then the control will go into a hard lockout if you push the reset more than twice. You need to hold the button down for at least 30 seconds to release the lockout.

It is a very slow drip coming out. Could there possibly be blockags

The burner motor must be running when you purge the line.