HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My furnace short cycles the heat, yes i checked the settings…

Customer Question
My furnace short cycles...

My furnace short cycles the heat

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes i checked the settings on the thermostat, the filters are new and i also just cleaned the blower motor which was extremely dirty

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes its an old trane xe60 im thinking its the limit control but not sure

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
1. changed thermostat with new one
2.replaced filters
3. blower motor was extremely dirty and clogged, took out and thoroughly cleaned, reinstalled
4. I see the limit control dial go up to the limit and shuts off the gas. Then it cools back down and turns on again and keeps short cycling.
5. Fan does not shut off weather it is on auto or fan on the thermostat
1/4/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello. tell me in seconds how short the cycles are please,

.

If you are handy and have a multi meter

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower, , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Hi Phil. The cycles are about a 60 secs to maybe 90 secs apart. I do have a multimeter. Unfortunately the unit is so old the wiring diagram has deterioated off both the inside door and on blower. Would model number help ? It's a Trane XE60
It may be easier for us to try the live phone call but I will have to wait until tomorrow
Which is better for you?

click here please.

so far it sounds like a dirty flame sensor rod, clean it down to bare bright and shinny stainless steel.

We can go from there in the morning with a phone call if you wish, its optional.

i would like to discuss via phone tomorrow because I dont think my model has a flame sensor rod but you are the expert and Im not. I will be back online and available tomorrow evening.

All furnaces built since about 1990 have flame sensor rods. if they have a printed circuit board mounted on the blower, or an inducer fan they have a flame sensor rod.

CLick here please

This is the original furnace and my home was built in 1988

The first printed circuit boards were used in furnaces in 1984, full adoption was complete by 1990 .. if yours has a printed circuit board it will be mounted on the main blower inside the furnace... look for it

Ok i took pictures of the diagram but it is way too old to see anything
I can still upload it

Hello, set the limit control to its maximum temperature then measure the temperature of the air deep inside one of the warm air vents at the peak just before the furnace shuts off, then use the same thermometer to measure the room temperature. If the room is 70F the air coming from the registers should be between 120F and 170F... if its cooler than that replace the high temperature limit control.

.

Its an old furnace, it could have some leaks in its heat exchanger, buy two carbon monoxide detectors and put one in the living room and one in your bed room.

.

We can go from there without any time limits

I dont have a thermometer, I thought we could start by testing with a multimeter?