HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I was checking your previous answer section because I got an…

Customer Question
Hi, I was checking...

Hi, I was checking your previous answer section because I got an error message on my Nest E24.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

The Nest is version 2 and we have had it for about two years (maybe less). Earlier this week we were out of town and the device was not getting enough passive charge since it was in ecomode. It was not critically low but low enough that it would not fire our furnace. Someone came out and changed the G wire to the C wire to help add extra power. This helped. Unfortunately, we lost the fan functionality due to this. My husband was hoping to restore the fan functionality today and decided to switch the wires back himself and got this error message E24.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Well if it is a simple fix that we can do tonight, we will. If it is difficult, we will have someone come to help.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

He told me that he has tried a lot of trouble shooting (resetting circuit breaker, put wires back to original setting, reinserted rh wire) and nothing will get rid of error message.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/4/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, there is no such thing as this problem with ecomode that the technician suggested, he had no business changing the C wire to the G wire.

click here please, scroll down to second generation, click on E24 code and read the various causes for that error code, we can go from there.

.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower, , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Hello again, you will need a multi meter

click here please, let me know what you can discover

We can go from there, if I miss you tonight I will be back first thing in the AM