HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a trane xe90 furnace its not heating and has a 4

Customer Question
I have a trane...

I have a trane xe90 furnace its not heating and has a 4 blink light going....

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The blower motor seems to hum

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Filter was dirty and removed. therm is on and set to 72 current heat is set at 73

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Well......I shut off the system at the switch on the unit itself......and I waited about 5 min the red blinking light reset. the furnace gas lit up and was burning.... getting up to temp to turn on the blower...... when the switch kicks on the blower seems to have an electrical hum to it.....

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/4/2018
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 6 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

This is a thermal rollout issue. There are high limit safety thermostats that are around the burner housing area that can trip open if they fail or the unit is overheating. Some of these have reset buttons on them that you can manually press down to reset while others do not. The ones that do not either are one time limits or are limits that are suppose to manually reset when cooled down. Now that does not always happen when they go bad so you will have to check them for continuity with an ohm meter across the two leads going to them. If you do not pwn a ohm meter you can physically bypass each rollout to make sure it is good by connecting the two wires to each rollout sensor together to see if the unit will then operate. Now once you have found the bad one you can change it out or reset it and then you should check your furnace filter for blockages and make sure you main furnace blower is running to speed. These two things can cause a unit to overheat and trip one of these rollout sensors. Mosts units have 3 of these devices and here is a link to what they can look like on your unit.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

I hope that I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here for payment and will receive nothing unless a rating is given. Please remember to use the RATING LINK ON YOUR PAGE by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I did what you asked.......seems like the blower motor tries to run and hums.......I was able to start it by hand once and it ran for a cycle....the motor now wont rotate and only hums when its asked to run. I think that's causing the over heatinmg

Yes for sure if the blower motor is not running that will overheat for sure. You may have a bad blower or bad capacitor for the blower, that is the issue though.

is there a way to test a capacitor?? Ive replaced blower motors before. but never a capacitor.

You would need a capacitor tester, they are super cheap so you can pick one up for about 5-10 dollars at Lowes or Home Depot

I have a multi meter here at home.....would that work? How do I go about this test??
I noticed when the motor on the blower did run...after a few seconds it got up to speed....then the motor lost force and it stopped spinning again....but the motor itself began to hum again. Does that help on capacitor or motor problem?

I would think it is a bad capacitor, the easiest way is just get a new cap and try it. They are super cheap so it is not like you will be out much.

The blower motor was weird last night. I baby sat it and it worked most the night. However at a few points it was making some noises when it ran that made me think it was about to go out. I don't think a bad cap would cause the motor to make a vibration noise. Or a squeal.

No that sounds like a bad blower motor for sure.

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!