HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

What if I HAVE both a orange and blue wire to heat pump.

Customer Question
What if I HAVE...

What if I HAVE both a orange and blue wire to heat pump

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

It's a ruud

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It's a ruud heat pump with aux.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 4 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy. In the old thermostat can you tell me what the blue and the orange were on?

Hi Billy, the problem is I didn't see what the old thermostat was on. Had a new unit installed and the tech said it wasn't working properly because of termostat

Ok, Usually the blue wire is the reverse wire on a Rheem/Ruud.

Do you have access to the indoor blower unit?

The issue is that blue can be used for common or B for reverse valve....and likewise orange is usually reverse valve for all other makes. We just need to see which of the 2 run the reverse valve

i do have access to the blower,

Excellent ...if you can just pop the door off the wiring section and post a pic of the wiring for me here

i have both orange and blue, the issue is right now the system is shutting down when I lower the termostat significantly to see it turn off
will do

I understand...that is why I need a pic of the wiring in the blower unit where thermostat wire attaches.

If...and that is if.....the installer used the correct wiring code...which most do not on Rheem/Ruud...I would say blue is O/B terminal set for B and orange is C or W2.

But with Rheem/Ruud we always need to see the wiring in the air handler

Thank you....there will be 2 thermostat cables....one from thermostat...and one from the outdoor heatpump unit.

They are pretty tight together in the pic...but does the blue wire from thermostat go direct to the wire from outdoor unit?

I am not sure how it connected outside
I suppose I can go outside and snap pictures of outside
Outside?

In the pic I cannot tell if it wires to a wire that terminates in the air handler or attaches to another wire that leapfrogs outside. But if you do get a pic of the thermostat wires outside it will automatically tell us which wire is reverse valve

Currently the system will not go off when I purposely lower the thermostat temp it continues to run, but when I set it off it goes off and when I set it to fan the fan seems to run alone.
Not sure how to determine wires that are going outisde

Ok from the pics...

Blue at thermostat should be in C like you have

Orange will be in O/B but programmed for B

The thermostat will also be programmed for heat pump

The white wire should be in W2

Okay will reconnect

If the unit still does not operate properly, it is somewhere in the wiring outside of the thermostat.

Moving the white to w2 will have the thermostat wired properly and programming it correctly for heat pump.

If issue remains it is NOT thermostat related

As for as the programming should I program heat to O, and what should I program cold to

Heat for B ( because it is Rheem/Ruud)

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech