HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an American Standard Freedom 80 gas furnace. The

Customer Question
Hello, I have an...

Hello, I have an American Standard Freedom 80 gas furnace. The flame sensor appears to be off – I replaced it last year. Now, the unit runs normally (both in heating mode and waiting mode), however, the gas will shut off after about 15 minutes. The blower continues to run. Thinking I need to swap out the sensor again

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Filters are good. I kicked up the thermostat to 85, stopping prior to reaching 70.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, that is it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/3/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 6 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Usually if flame sensor it will shut off in a matter of seconds sounds more like a limit switch or pressure switch issue.Can you look inside the burner compartment on label on side panel and get me the model on your furnace? Then look in blower compartment and see if there is an error light blinking that will guide us in determining what is failing with the furnace.)Not if no peep hole and you have to remove blower panel to see control board, it will be necessary to hold door switch in to have power to board)

American Standard Freedom 80, Model = AUD080R936A1
SN = J40506970
category = ISituation: All four burners light properly, immediately, using the hot surface pilot once an ignition signal is received from the thermostat. Run time varies between 15 minutes to hours, no consistent failure time. When the system shuts off, all four burners stop at once. The lower unit flashes an error code 2 - System Lockout (retries or Recycles exceeded) after three ignition attempts. At each ignition attempt, the hot surface pilot glows, however, gas is not coming out of the jets. I cleaned the flame sensor and tested the limit switch with a volt meter while the blower was running (no gas/heat present). No voltage read when attached to limit switch leads. Filter is brand new. Blower volume at the vents appears normal.

I am thinking board is failing. If a limit or anything was opening we should get a different error before the actual lockout.