HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I need help with AO Residential Gas Heater, week,

Customer Question
I need help with...

I need help with AO Smith Residential Gas Heater

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Week

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends...for serious work I need professional

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes when I tell you

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/3/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 3 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Tell me the model on heater and what issues you are having

Model GCR-404004 Installed August 2017
After starting the pilot light, no status lights appear on the unit where it normally should appear.
After holding the pilot light button down for a long time, nothing happens.
Whenever I let go of the pilot button flame goes out, the water Heater never starts.

Sounds like we are not getting enough millivolts to keep valve energized. Does it have a pilot generator . thermopile and if so did you clean it?

I do not have the expertise to know how to do this. Further I don’t know exactly if the unit has those parts. I have a repair guy That I wish would show up but so far I haven’t been able to communicate with him.

Sounds like just an issue with the thermopile or thermocouple not sensing the pilot flame to me.

Might I need a Rheem SP 20172 FV Sensor kit.
The water heater had been operating in the presence of lacquer and nap s sensor kit.
The water heater had been operating in the presence of lacquer and Naptha fumes, In my basement as I Have been doing finishing work on my art have been doing finishing work on my wood art at the time of water heater pilot light failure. ???????

I am thinking you would get an error code if the flame vapor was an issue

The presence of codes has not been observed. The only thing that has been observed is the pilot light stays lit as long as The pilot light is pushed

You stated previously "Model GCR-404004 Installed August 2017

After starting the pilot light, no status lights appear on the unit where it normally should appear."

Based on no status light I am presuming my statement

By connecting two wires that led to the vapor sensor and restarting pilot light procedure I got code and water heater started by turning up the gas.

Excellent news

Looking through manual I don;t see anything about the sensor keeping us from getting a code.That is strange.WE should have gotten an sensor code instead of no light at all.Perhaps replacing the sensor may be the solution

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician