HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We have a Honeywell HZ322, as part of our heat pump system.

Customer Question
Hi, we have a...

Hi, we have a Honeywell HZ322, as part of our heat pump system. one of the zones is not producing any heat and there are red warning lights on the system. Not sure what to do?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

We have double checked the thermostat settings - it is set on heat for 67F and it is currently 56F in that zone, there does not appear to be any air pumping in that zone at all. We have checked the filter attached to the main unit does need changing - there is only one filter for both ones for this system and the other zone is working fine

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We have removed the old filter and it seems to be pumping air - could this be the problem?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/3/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 5 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, the zone damper in the cold zone either has a bad damper motor (if it is getting 24volts and not opening the damper is either stuck or the damper motor is bad).

.

Or the zone control relay box has a bad zone relay serving that zone.

.

Or the thermostat in that zone is not working (jumper R to W thermostat terminal to test that)

.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo inside the zone controller , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, I am back with you and I got the jpeg you sent

I will try to work with it but the sides are cut off, if you take another one from about 12 inches further ways that will help

Thanks, ***** ***** the photo's... it seems the web is having some issues lately as well as our servers here at JA.

.

Heat pumps have internal programming that shut them down when its cooler 30F outside, and the newer ones cooler than 10F outside and that results in the back up heat coming on.

So I need to know if the units outside are running or not, and what the outside temperature is.

and what the current temperature is in the house, that will tell me if your back up heat is on or not,

.

Your zone controller has a DATS sensor on it, that senses outside air temperature and may very well be programmed to shut the heat pumps off after a certain low outside air temperure

It is currently 30f outside, it’s hard to tell the temperature inside as we are having to use electric heaters to provide some heat. The outside unit has been working constantly (as much as we can tell) and the aux heat is showing as being utilized in both zones.

Thanks, you will need a multi meter to measure these voltages

click here please

If fitting the yellow and green jumpers gets power to the damper motor for the zone thats not working, then the thermostat is bad.

.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer