HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We have a 3-1/2 ton that was installed in 2015 and today it…

Customer Question
We have a 3-1/2...

We have a 3-1/2 ton Bryant that was installed in 2015 and today it is making a horrible squeaking noise in the motor inside. Should I turn it off? I have called the guy who installed it but he's not answered yet?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I came into the office this morning and it was squeaking then

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

NO! I just need to know whether this is going to damage the unit or if I should turn it off.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

I have taken the filter out and will run in a few to get a new one but it wasn't that long ago that I changed it. I turned the thermostat off

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I'm not sure. The squeaking sounds horrible but it kind of comes and goes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/3/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 8 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

It will be better if you can turn it off so it does not do more damage until we find out exactly what it is.

Will do. Our guy who installed the unit is here so that’s all I will be needing. Thanks

It depends on exactly what the issue is as to whether it will do more damage.It can effect operating pressures and create more problems. Everything should be covered under warranty as far as parts go, but no need to cause a delay in getting it fixed if it causes more issues.

If you have further questions, please let me know.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page