HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Heil furnace. stops blowing heat. fan is running…

Customer Question
I have a Heil...

I have a Heil furnace. stops blowing heat. fan is running but no heat. I cycle a switch just inside the access panel, on a light brown box, turns of the furnace pilot and all. Turn it back on and it works fine, fan and flame. Then it happens again a day or two later.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes, filter is not new but clean

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Hoping to

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Thanks, ***** ***** for some input as to what might need to be replaced.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/3/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 6 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Sounds like unit is shutting down on high limit or the pressure switch is opening.Can you look inside the burner compartment on label on side panel and get me the model on your furnace? Then when furnace should be on but is off, look in blower compartment and see if there is an error light blinking that will guide us in determining what is failing with the furnace.)Not if no peep hole and you have to remove blower panel to see control board, it will be necessary to hold door switch in to have power to board)

NTGM075EGA3
CALL WOULD BE OK BUT I'M NOT AT THE FURNACE RIGHT NOW

I am unable to take phone call right now. The offer is site generated automatically. This will be presented to my colleagues so you may get a call from one of them if available.We can continue here to try to solve your problem

OK THANKS

THanks for the model, Now of course we can't fix what ain't broke, so when furnace should be on but is off, look in blower compartment and see if there is an error light blinking that will guide us in determining what is failing with the furnace.)Not if no peep hole and you have to remove blower panel to see control board, it will be necessary to hold door switch in to have power to board)

THat error code will tell us which way to go in troubleshooting.You can come back to question when you are there and it is failing.

Sorry about the delay, Waiting for a time when I can get to the furnace at my daughters

I am in and out so just let me know

I just went to my daughters, I don't see a board of any sort, nor any kind of light to be an error light.

OK this must be an older furnace before they incorporated the lights to aid us in troubleshooting. Most likely a limit switch is opening.If you leave it alone will it eventually come back on or do you have to reset power.

Her temperature gets real low. She came how to 48 degrees today. Older, leaky house. The fan keeps running but the burners are not. Before I got there she was able to cycle a switch on top of what I think is the gas valve. The furnace turned on but only for 10 minutes or so. I cycled it again and it stayed on for another 20 minutes then I had to go. She hasn't contacted me so I'm guessing it's still on.

If it fails, try bypassing each limit before turning power off

I'm not sure what that means. What is a limit and how do I bypass?

There may be
several limits on the furnace.Blow describes locations:
PRI***** *****MIT
The pri***** *****mit control is located on the partition panel and monitors
heat exchanger compartment temperatures. It is a normally closed
(electrically), automatic reset, temperature-activated sensor.
The limit guards against the overheating as a result of insufficient
conditioned air passing over the heat exchanger.
AUXILIARY LIMIT
The auxiliary limit control(s) are located on or near the circulator
blower and monitors heat exchanger compartment temperatures.
They are a normally-closed (electrically), manual-reset, temperature
activated sensors. These limits guard against overheating as a
result of insufficient conditioned air passing over the heat exchanger.
VENT DRAFGAURD
These would be located on the draft hood if you have one on your furnace.
ROLLOUT LIMIT
The rollout limit controls are mounted on the burner/manifold assembly
and monitor the burner flame. They are normally-closed
(electrically), manual-reset, temperature-activated sensors. These
limits guard against burner flames not being properly drawn into the
heat exchanger.
Pictures of limits and how to bypass for a test

https://i.imgur.com/WqmGzzO.png