HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a 2-zone Carrier system in my home. There’s a digital…

Customer Question
I have a 2-zone...

I have a 2-zone Carrier system in my home. There’s a digital thermostat that has been great until yesterday. I went to change the mode and the entire screen displayed all possible letters/numbers at once, then after about 20 seconds it returned to normal. I can replicate the behavior with the temperature and zone buttons as well. I don’t believe this panel has a battery. Is there something I can check?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I think it’s just the thermostat.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Possibly

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Those are the symptoms

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/2/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 7 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, tell me please if the system is heating and cooling properly or not, if not, gently pry the thermostat off of its wall mounted sub base, and look for batteries in the back of the unit you are holding in your hand.

.

Then tell me which color wire attaches to each lettered terminal on the wall mounted plate,

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

.

It is heating and cooling as expected. It is a Carrier Comfort Zone II thermostat. The wires:RS- is yellow
RS+ is white
VG is green
V+ is black
I believe simply reseating the panel on the pins did the trick. Guess the pins were dirty or not quite seated correctly. Thanks for your help. It’s no longer acting up.

Good work!

Its time to rate my work by clicking the 'Finish and rate your expert" link near the top of your page, that also gets me paid and I will appreciate that very much

Phil – I spoke too soon. It’s still acting up. Should I maybe get some contact cleaner tomorrow and try that, or is there something else I should do? There are no batteries in this panel. I believe there might be some in the wiring panel in the attic.

You may have simply executed a 'soft reset' by turning the power to the thermostat OFF and ON when unplugging it.

.

A soft reset is needed if the flame sensor rod is dirty and fails to sense burner flame, after 3 or 4 attempts to start.... or if the high limit switch trips, because it is defective or more often because the air filter is dirty.

.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower, , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

I can’t find a wiring diagram, but here are photos that I hope will help.
F35454C9-56F3-44B6-A40F...jpegF35454...jpeg39CF462C-459D-40DE-AFEB...jpeg39CF46...jpegB868AA2B-B476-40E2-ABEE...jpegB868AA...jpeg7FDE9DD9-EE4E-4673-9D17...jpeg7FDE9D...jpeg2391B878-FD55-4B1F-AD4C...jpeg2391B8...jpeg
FYI, this is all-electric. No gas.

Thanks, ***** ***** going to need a very good local HVAC controls systems specialist to sort this out... its an exceedingly complex type of control system. I will opt out in the event one of our other experts wants to tackle this.

.

If you need help locating a local and well rated technician tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city and I will see who I can find for you.