HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We have a Weil Mclain 310 boiler, the unit keeps kicking out…

Customer Question
We have a Weil...

We have a Weil Mclain 310 boiler, the unit keeps kicking out when the return temp comes in any lower than 58 degrees f of the output, is there a way we can change that setting to give it more time to catch up to the target? we have changed pumps and serviced the unit but having a hard time to get much over the 135 degree target witch is not enough to get the slab heated enough.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The thermostats are high enough but witch filters are you referring t. the inline filter has been changed.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

We have a local company that help set this up they may be doing it

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really that i can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, so far it sounds like there is air trapped in the floor coils that is slowing the water flow through the floor... the general design practice is to set up the floor coil flow rate to provide an 8 to 12 deg F drop in temperature as the water enters then exits the floor loop.

We know that the water flow is grossly inadequate because of the ~80F temperature drop as the boiler water goes through the floor loop.

To be more specific I need the length and diameter of each loop in the floor, the tube diameter, and the number of loops and all if the pump data.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

.

Sorry we cant answer those questions that you are asking about the amount of piping etc. we purchased this building a few years ago and the system was already installed with no information on that. So I go to my original question is there anyway that we can take that pre set 58 degree return temp before it cuts out and turn it to say 65-70 degrees before it goes down. We are just trying to increase the slab heat so we can leave our coats off when we are in the office.

Hello again,

The 58F return temperature is a *symptom of not enough water flow.. its not a cause. It is the cause that needs to be corrected, setting the boiler to run with 58F return water temperature will just ruin the boiler (by causing condensation on the tubes).

.

Either the floor heating tubes and manifolds are suffer severe design errors. or much more likely there is air trapped in the tube/ manifold arrangement that is limiting water flow, and causing the floor to run cold, and causing the boiler to over heat on its limit controls.

If you can attach some photo's of the hot water manifolds taken from about 10 feet away I can coach you on how to get the air out of the system, that will enable water flow to return to normal, and the return water to run 10 or 20 degrees cooler than the boiler water in virtually all cases.

-------------------

A bit about myself, I am 77 years old, with 58 years in the boiler, heating and air conditioning business. The first 30 years running my own company with 27 staff, and the next twenty years consulting nationally.. and with 8 years here on Just Answer (98.4% positive ratings) lately. I have been retained by major fortune 500 companies to solve their systems design and operation problems (many of those jobs in the multi million dollar range)

.

The primary problem these companies had trouble getting their systems to operate.... is that they were unaware of the root causes ....and focused only on the poor outcomes. Its not possible to fix an outcome without discovering and solving the cause of the outcome.

In your case the odds are in the 99% range that its poor water flow through the hot water loops in the floor.... after I see the manifold pictures I can tell you if its most likely air trapped in the loops, or incorrect piping of the floor loop(s)