HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Pensotti blue line boiler. Recently it stopped

Customer Question
I have a Pensotti...

I have a Pensotti blue line boiler. Recently it stopped working. Troubleshooting the problem I found a open between terminals 6 and 7 on the terminal block in the oval control box located top front of the boiler. The wiring diagram shows LS1 and LS2. One of these switches is not operating right. Where are these switches located ( the wiring goes though a cable into the covered boiler area) and were can I get replacements?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

3 days. I placed a jumper across terminals 6 and 7 to get the boiler operating under manual control to keep the house from freezing.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/2/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, LS1 and LS2 are safety limit switches. You have to follow the wires to locate them. These are most likely just tripped and not bad,, they will have red reset button on them if thats the case.

.

I am 77 years old with 58 years in the boiler business, Pensotti is not a common brand. Be patient and I will see if I can find a manual on it. Do you have a model number to go with that brand name

click here for the manual I have so far, tell me if this is it or not please

.

Click here for the manual, see diagram on page 19, figure 8 and jumper terminals 6 and 7 as a brief test only, to see if either of those are tripped

I jumpered terminals 6 and 7 to get it running. The manual you referenced is the manual I have. After I left the jumper on for 4 hours to get the boiler temp back up to 190 degrees the switches closed. The boiler temperature was down around 40 degrees before I finished troubleshooting and put the jumper on. The boiler now started working properly but I wanted to replace the switches to stop it from happening again. With this cold temp the house nearly froze up before I got to the problem. I hate to have it happen again when we may be out.
The model number is *****

Hello. high limit thermostat source click here please, but do call them on the phone to confirm for you boiler or not, thats a UK source

I will see if parts are available in the US for you as well

.

Click here for Pensotti dealers in the US and Canada... they are a bit sparce, it will take a while calling these people to source that part

.

Its time to rate my work for the day, locate the "finish and rate your expert" link near the top of the page, that also gets me paid. We can go from there tomorrow with whatever help you might need.