HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Sure. I have a Goodman gas-fired furnace installed around…

Customer Question
Sure. I have a...

Sure. I have a Goodman gas-fired furnace installed around 2005. Not working. When last checked, there were three red flashes indicating pressure switch circuit not closed. Changed thermostat batteries and reset to factory defaults. Shut off/turned on power at the breaker box and turned off the gas furnace emergency switch. Couldn't find any other reset buttons. Now nothing. No heat and no blower.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Thermostat is a Rite Temp 8050. Screen indicated "filter". Filter has been changed. Thermostat reset with batteries. No messages.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No idea. At this point there are no HVAC techs available in the area given the cold snap in Boston.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Don't know what questions to ask or how this works. Just came across this as I tried troubleshooting.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
1/2/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, the pressure switch is a 4" round disc type thing, with two wires attached and one or two 1/4" black rubber hoses attached... the hoses fill with condensate and the pressure switch stops working. also the nipples where the hoses connect get clogged with dirt.

.

To access the pressure switch remove the front panel of the furnace where the gas valve and burners are.

.

Remove hoses, cut off any split ends, and poke a paper clip wire in the nozzles about 1/2" to clean out the tiny orifice inside. That will solve the problem in 90% of cases.

.

We can go from there without any time limits.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Any images of this 4" disc for reference?
Any images of this 4" disc for reference? And is there anything else to troubleshoot or are we settling on the pressure switch thing only?
What tools do I need to have handy? And would it make sense to see a picture of the furnace set-up?

You may need a multi meter and screw driver set.

.

click here for pressure switch photo's

I don't own a multi-meter. Would it make more sense for me to get one before proceeding with a call or any next steps?

You do not need a multi meter to service the pressure switch, but a meter is never a bad idea, you can get a good enough one for $30 or so.

The pics were helpful. But the only thing that I see is about 2" and has a red and yellow wire attached but no hoses.
Right now the power to the furnace is off while working on it. But when there was power, there was nothing blowing even after changing the batteries in the thermostat and switching it to 'on' instead of 'auto'. Is it possible that the pressure switch circuit is closed and there is a short The Goodman owner's manual indicates replacing the induced draft blower pressure switch for this. I assume that's a different switch. Should I be looking at that as a possibility?

The industry training course on these for established journey plumbers is 2 weeks, for novices the college course is 2 years.

.

I am able guide you quickly and effortlessly to a compete diagnosis in minutes, but if we spend time with me explaining the manual it will take hours or days..... we can do that if you wish.

.

Or you can

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower, , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

I will point the pressure switch out to you on the diagram, and give you full instructions on how to diagnose the problem

Last photo: ***** ***** too large (> 5 MB) and trying to find way to send it.

Thanks the 2 inch black round device to the lower left of your furnace photo with the red and yellow wire attached is the pressure switch.

.

Remove its rubber tube and blow it out, then poke a paper clip wire 1/2" into the nipple it came off of to clean the tiny orifice inside.

Try the furnace again, if that fails, restart the furnace again within 2 to 5 seconds of the inducer fan starting remove the red and yellow wires and jam them together, the furnace igniter should glow within 30 to 60 seconds.

Tell me if it does or no, we can go from there

Removed the black hose connecting switch. Blew it out. It was clear. Used the clip on both connecting ends.Tube has been replaced. Back to basement to turn power on.
Flipped the breaker and there's power to the unit. Gas emergency switch is in 'on' position. (Is there another reset switch I should use?). Thermostat is set to 'auto' and 75 and current temp inside is 69. I hear and see nothing.
The inducer fan hasn't started at all.
OK. Earlier you noted, "Try the furnace again, if that fails, restart the furnace again within 2 to 5 seconds of the inducer fan starting remove the red and yellow wires and jam them together, the furnace igniter should glow within 30 to 60 seconds." But in this case, there has been no fan. Do the screencasts you provided still apply?

https://www.screencast.com/t/1yWJUgE3z

We are trouble shooting, every single step of trouble shooting fails and is no longer active, until we get to the final step.

HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 3 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

My name is ***** ***** be happy to assist you.

First of all in the inducer does not start nothing else is going to happen.

Lets do this. Turn power off. Make a jumper from R to W on board where thermostat wires connect.Then power back on and tell me how far in sequence furnace goes.

Inducer,igniter, burners, maun fan

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician