HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a 170,000 BTU heater for the shop. After giving up on…

Customer Question
I have a 170,000 BTU...
I have a 170,000 BTU heater for the shop. After giving up on constantly re-lighting the pilot light I installed a Honeywell Y8610U Pilot Retrofit Kit. After completing the installation and turning everything on the pilot lit and the main burner came on within about 2 seconds. PROBLEM - the main burner stays on exactly 20 seconds then goes out. Then everything recycles, the main burner comes on again stays on for 20 seconds and goes off. The flame recertification probe wasn't directly over the main burner flame so I repositioned the Pilot/Ignitor plate so the probe was directly over a main burner.... no change. I added redundant ground wires... no change. I don't completely understand how the recertification system works, especially the path of current flow. I am going to measure the mA current to the probe, but I don't know what to do if it the current flow is good or not good. What do I do next?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/2/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, you have done almost everything imaginable to solve the problem..

.

The flame rectification probes works this way, the system sends 24voltsAC into the probe, if there is flame there, and you have a good ground, the positive side of the AC sine wave leaks through the flame to the ground.... but the negative side of the sine wave stays put in the probe.... resulting an DC current... the control board senses this DC as proof of flame.

.

We can go from here as needed.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Phil,
Do you have access to the installation instruction sheet? Mine is 68-0291-04. I might have found my problem, I need your input. .........Frank.

I do not know what brand the heater is, so am unable to pull the manual on it, if you can tell me the brand name I can often pull the manual..... or.... you can just tell me what you think the problem is, and that might do it

Phil,
The Honeywell Y8610U Pilot Retrofit Kit has been installed on a Reznor XL-170 heater. The manual I referenced is the one for the Honeywell Retrofit Kit.
I have customers coming in the shop all the time so I can't stop and work with you on the phone, although I agree that would be much easier. If you can take a look at the manual see what you think of the following:Page 14 figure 16 - shows a schematic for “Connections in a heating system with an atmospheric burner and No vent damper.” This is how I wired my controller. It shows running a wire from the hot side of the transformer to the 24V terminal on the controller.Page 13 figure 15 – NOTE: The 24V terminal on the S8610U is used only when a vent damper is installed.Page 12 under the heading “Connect Vent Damper (Optional) in the second paragraph in italics, “Once an ignition control module powers up with a vent damper connected, the module will not function without a vent damper being connected.Question: Does my system think there is a vent damper connected even though there isn’t anything wired to P1? If it does, could that be the reason it is shutting off?

Hello again, there is no online access to instruction sheet printer reference numbers... those are internal printer order document references.

I need the brand name of the heater to pull the manual on it, that is how all these things are filed.

.

The phone call offer is automated, I do not send it, a phone call is optional.

Try this link for the Manualhttps://forwardthinking.honeywell.com/related_links/combustion/y8610u/install/68_0291.pdf

Thanks, ***** ***** a great manual, each furnace however has a different set up and if I am to help you I need to know all about the furnace that this retrofit kit is going into.

Brand name of the furnace will work in most cases, unless predates the internet

As mentioned above, the furnace is a Reznor XL-170. This furnace has a heat exchanger and a fan with a thermostatic control... that's it. It came with a Honeywell External controller #V800A. This is a continuous pilot light type controller with a thermocouple sensor for only the pilot light... nothing sensing the main burner. It might be hard to find manuals for either of these.
I found the manual for the original controller.
https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/Techlit/TechLitDocuments/95-0000s/95-6996.pdf

Thanks for trying... this thing will have to be seen in person to straighten out, it can be unsafe otherwise. I will opt out.

Below your reply it says: "Phil has referred you to a new HVAC Technician. You'll get a response here and by email typically within 24 hours." Is this correct?