HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Rental hot water tank - serviced and insulated pipes Oct…

Customer Question
Rental hot water tank...

Rental hot water tank - serviced and insulated pipes Oct 2017 by Reliance tech-ice build up at elbows on insulated outside plastic pipe - when fan comes on -can hear running water outside from inside of pipe-is that a concern

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Approx. 10 yrs-Superflue - fan replaced and also digitals last Oct

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

NO reliance I have System Protectiob Plan but can not get thru. Tank is water concerned about water noise and outside ice

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

My only other concern and if it is a concern is the length of the pipe and only someone looking at it could give me the info. The pipe is at the back of the house running to the left which is approx15' and if it ran to the right it would only be approx. 9'. If that makes sense

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/2/2018
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

Not likely a concern. Are you concerned about frozen/broken pipes?

concerned about plastic pipe with inside ice building up and system then not working

Ok, if the pipe was broken it would leak all the time not just when the heater is running so what you're hearing isn't a broken pipe. The water will stop flowing before the pipes will break. Leave the water running (hot & cold) a steady stream (not a drip) as long as freezing is a concern.