HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Our furnace is set at 73 and within the last few days it…

Customer Question
Our furnace is set...

Our furnace is set at 73 and within the last few days it stops heating and the temperature goes down to about 65. Then it starts back up and warms up to the 73, after awhile. It did it two mornings in a row and then went two days without any issue and then last night went down to the 65

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The thermostat's settings are both set on 73. Not sure about filters.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not sure, hubby is thinking if we ask for a tech to come out, and our furnace is working they won't find the problem. Is it hard to find out about the filters?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nothing I can think of

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/2/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 6 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Issue is most likely going to be a pressure switch or limit switch causing it to shut off.If it is a limit, the tech may be able to see something such as dirty coil,dirty filter or air flow problem that would make it cycle on high limit.If a pressure switch he may be able to notice an issue with vent or condensate drain blockage that could be causing the issue.

But your husband is right that ideally it would be best if you could get furnace to fail while he is onsite.

If you can watch the furnace and when it should be on but is not, take a look on the control board inside furnace and see if there is a blinking light to indicate what is failing. Then give me the model on furnace and tell me the flash pattern .If you have a multi meter I can guide you in troubleshooting at that time.

Thank you

If you have further questions, please let me know.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.