HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Honeywell Prestige Touch Screen Thermostat. It is…

Customer Question
I have a Honeywell...

I have a Honeywell Prestige Touch Screen Thermostat. It is not working at all and probably the reason I do not have any heat. I think I need to change the batteries but I cannot figure out how to remove the cover so I can change the batteries. I cannot get a service person out until tomorrow and it is 14 degrees outside. I am afraid of pipes in the crawl space freezing. Please help me with how to get the cover off of the theromstat

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

The thermostat is black. DOES NOT WORK AT ALL

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it just involves batteries-YES. I could fix it immediately instead of waiting until tomorrow for the service people to come

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

How would I know what that would be. Are you going to answer my question or not

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
1/2/2018
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 1 month ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Your thermostat does not need batteries.It receives power from your furnace or air handler.Make sure all breakers in electrical panel are on,After that we will have to start troubleshooting to see why unit is not sending power to thermostat.. If you have a meter let me know .If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you would like to troubleshoot and I would be happy to guide you.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All the breakers in the house are on including those to the heat pump and the gas furnace. The house was cold when I work up this am and the thermostat screen was black. There is a USB port on the bottom of the thermostat and a CR2032 battery that slides out. I don't think the thermostat is what the manual is referring to. It says to replace the batteries in the outside sensor when a warning appears on the thermostat. The warning is supposed to appear 60 days ahead of time but I am sure I never got the warning. I had they system checked in November and everything was fine. I was just going to call the HVAC company to see if the sensor is separate and where it is installed. What I thought was the sensor is just a covered outdoor outlet.

The CR2032 is a memory battery for the thermostat so it does not lose your programming in case of a power outage.It has nothing to do with the display of screen or operation of system.

We have lost power from the furnace.

Can you give me model on furnace? WE may have a small fuse inside furnace that has blown.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Giving up then. I am not going down to the crawl space by myself to do this. I have an HVAC appt tomorrow. I will just have to wait and hope that the pipes in the crawl space don't freeze. I have water running just in case.

I understand.Troubleshooting can be a time consuming job and often requires test meters, a ton of knowledge with the equipment and patience.That's why we make the "big bucks". (lol)

But on a serous note if you decide you want to troubleshoot,I am happy to guide you.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.
Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I said I was giving up which means I could not continue with your directions. I thought that was clear. The HVAC service will be here soon. You made your $28. Please do not keep emailing me.

Hope they get you fixed up soon.Just so you know,I only receive a portion of your 28 bucks and do not receive that until we are finished and you rate my answer 3 starts or higher.Your 28 bucks sits 'on hold " with the company until then and until that point, I am required by the company to reply to you every time you reply.So if we are done, please do not reply, just rate 3 starts or higher.THat will close the question.

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician