HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I bought a Rheem Classic Professional power vent water last…

Customer Question
I bought a Rheem...

I bought a Rheem Classic Professional power vent water last year. It has been shutting down itself with a 6-3 flash. I need to restart it everytime, then it shut down again. My previous Rheem power vent water heater had the same situation. What is exactly happening? The previous Rheem water heater has been using over 7 years and stopped working in 2017. Then I got this new one. But it has the same problem after using for few months.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It has been like this for last two months. After the water is boiled, the flame gone off and can't fire up again. I need to switch off and on each time.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can do that, I will. But I don't have much knowledge about it. I spent over $3k for this heater.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What do I need to do?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
HVAC Technician: Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician

HI I AM DAN I CAN HELP YOU WITH THIS. FIRST I WILL NEED THE MODEL NUMBER OF THE WATER HEATER

Prog50-Prog50-38u rh67 pv
Hello Dan, I wish you can help fix the problem. Thanks. Eric

i can help you give me a couple minutes to research your error code and the specs

Do you get the model #? I don't see any respond.

first thing is make sure the outlet vent outside is perfectly clear, no leaves, dirt or snow blocking the exhaust. also what size exhaust pipe is used and how long and how many fittings are used to vent the heater

The heater is in the garage and nothing is blocking the valve. The pipe is 2.5 in. (I guess). I just restarted it, and I don't see any fire from the tiny window (the cover is removed ).

right now we are not concerned with the valve we want to look at the exhaust pipe. if you can take some pictures of how it is installed and post them here that would help

The outlet is outside the house.
15148943983091906101086.jpg1514894...jpg15148944274532124418544.jpg1514894...jpg1514894451844-1180829392.jpg1514894...jpg1514894499606-1981737498.jpg1514894...jpg

thank you for that. give me a couple minutes while i resarce the specs for your heater

the problem you are having is the pressure switch it openeing while the unit is running what causes this is any restriction to the exhaust fumes. acording to the installation instructions for your heater a maximum of 30' of pipe can be used to vent the heater, if it is at 30' or over that the pipe becomes too restrictive to properly vent the fumes away so the safety devices turn the heater off

Do you mean the exhaust pipe cannot longer than 30 foot? I have the previous Rheem heater installed for last 7 years. It just stopped working last year.

the longer the pipe the more restriction and can cause issues like you have it is possible for it to work sometimes but then will lock out every now any then or maybey not at all and have to be reset. based on your pictures it looks like the vent pipe is at least 30 ft long so that is a problem. most installations the vent is less than 10' of pipe, also the more fittings used adds to the restriction. one elbow is equal to 5 ft of pipe. i would recomend terminating the vent pipe closer to the heater, so a shorter pipe.

it may also be a problem with the pressure switch, you would need a manometer to measure the pressure to see if the pressure switch is working properly

Can I do it myself? How and where to measure the pressure switch?

connect the manometer negative side to the hose that is connected to the pressure switch, read the pressure that the blower draws and compare it to the rating of the pressure switch. the switch will be located in the lower compartment with the burner

Is that an image of the pressure switch? Where can i find the exhaust blower? What should be a regular pressure at this pressure switch? It sounds like I need to open the metal panel. Am I right? Normally how much it costs to have a technician to check the pressure

THE EXHAUST BLOWER IS WHERE THE PIPE ATACHES THE SWITCH MAY BE UNDER THE PANNEL, YOU WILL HAVE TO READ THE PRESSURE RATING WRITEN ON THE SWITCH AND COMPARE THE ACTUAL PRESSURE READING TO THAT. IF YOU NEED A TECHNICHIAN TO COME OUT TO REPAIR IT I DO NOT KNOW WHAT LOCAL COMPANIES IN YOUR AREA CHARGE.

If the pressure switch is not an issue, what are other possible reasons?

THE BLOWER MIGHT BE WEAK, READING THE PRESSURE WILL DETERMINE WHERE THE PROBLEM IS

Great. Do you know where can I print the information that you just sent me? So I can follow the instructure to do it.

FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT USING THE SITE LIKE HOW TO PRINT YOU WILL HAVE TO ASK CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Ok. Thanks

IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW OR IF THIS HAS HELPED YOU I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU COULD RATE ME ON MY SERVICE BY SELECTING ONE OF THE 5 STARS ON YOUR PAGE SO WE MAY CLOSE THIS QUESTION.