HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

It's currently 8 degrees outside. My heater stops blowing…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl. It's currently...

Hi Pearl. It's currently 8 degrees outside. My heater stops blowing warm due to the burners shutting off. We believe it's from the condensate not being drained. When I pull the hose going to the drain trap, a ton of water gushes out. Any suggestions?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Just started yesterday morning. I have to pull the hose to drain the pipe every hour basically.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Other than it's freezing, no.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/2/2018
HVAC Technician: Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician replied 7 months ago
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician

HI I AM DAN I CAN HELP YOU WITH THIS. IT SOUNDS LIKE EITHER YOUR DRAIN LINE IS CLOGED OR FROZEN. YOU AND TRY REOMOVING THAT HOSE AND USE COMPRESSED AIR TO TRY AND BLOW OUT ANY CLOG TO ALLOW IT TO DRAIN

Hi Dan. Thank you for getting back to me quickly. I will try that. Is it ok to do so with water in the drain trap?

IF POSSIBLE IT WOULD BE BEST TO REMOVE THE TRAP AND CLEAN THAT TOO.

The picture actually loaded upside down. Sorry about that.

THANK YOU FOR THAT, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REMOVE THE PVC PIPE AS IT IS GLUED IN BUT REMOVE THE 2 RUBBER HOSES AND BLOW THE AIR THROUGH THE TRAP ON ONE SIDE AND COVER THE OTHER ONE, LOW PRESSURE APROX 10- 15 PSI

Does it matter which side I blow into?

NO

Ok. I need to run to the store to get one of those air compressor cans. I'll contact you again if that doesn't work. Thank you for your assistance.

LET KME KNOW IF THAT WORKS FOR YOU OR IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS

I was unable to get the other hose off. I sprayed the compressed air into the Flue hole and water just splashed up.

it is important to seal off the connection sowe build up pressure in the pipe to push the clog out. if you cant remove the hose pinch it together so it is sealed off. also if the pvc line is anywhere it may freeze then the problem may be that it is frozen shut and will need to be thawed out.

There was ice on the pipe outside of the house but I already thawed that out. Is it possible to have ice in the lines on the inside of the house?

it is possible but if inside is warm and conditioned space most likely it would not freze

what's my next step here sir?

either using compressed air to blow out a drain making sure the air conection and other hose are sealed, an air compressor is the best for that or use a heater to try and thaw the pipe out if it is frozen

The only pipe I can see is about 6" outside the house or the pipe running from the unit up in the attic. Would the water in the pipe in the attic freeze?

if the attic are is unheated then it is possible that it is frozen

I will try a heater up there then and also continue to spray the compressed air. Is it possible the drain trap is bad? Would replacing that be an possible solution?

replacing the trap will not help with anything. your problem is with the pipe from the trap to the outside

Ok. Sounds good. Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

ok