HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I am not getting hit in one of the rooms of my house I have…

Customer Question
I am not getting hit...
I am not getting hit in one of the rooms of my house I have two thermostats on my boiler one works the other one does not I don’t know if it’s the water pump or the connection
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/2/2018
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 8 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

DO you have 2 pumps or 1 pump and 2 zone valves?

Is the pump for the problem zone running? Put a screwdriver handle to your ear and the tip on the pump. If the pump is running you'll hear it spinning. If the sound is faint it could be the other pump

I took the pump apart it looks like new inside I also heard it spinning but what is spinning consider good spin a loud noise a lite noise how would I know
I don’t think it’s the other pump I’m not having problems with that zone unless the other pump has something to do with zone that’s not working ???
I know it’s not the wiring I had all the wiring checked with a voltmeter
when I turn the thermostat to on I can hear the click on

Any spinning means it's running. Is the pipe hot going into the problem zone pump, check a few feet away from the pump ?

No cold

Do you have old cast iron radiators or copper baseboard?

Baseboard

Since the pump is running you either have a frozen pipe in that zone or air in that zone. I don't see any purge stations on your boiler piping to get the air out. Purge station is a shut off valve and a hose drain valve

Pipes look too big for copper baseboard. Do you have cast iron baseboard?

I did they replaced it with baseboard .I’ve been here five years never had a problem?
The house had cast iron radiators it was switched over to baseboard about five years ago I’ve never had a problem

Just an observation. So you either need to get the air out of the zone or wait until the weather warms up so the pipe thaws out or call a plumber with a pipe thawing machine.

I don’t think the pipe is frozen because I turned on the heat in October when I was in the 40s and 50s and it still did not work

Then there's air in the zone since you say the pump is running

if there is air in that system how would I remove it Also if there is air in the system. How come half the house works on one zone and the other zonedoes not

You can easily have air in one zone and not the other. Like I said before I don't see any way to purge the air out in your pics. Maybe you have bleeders on the baseboard.
I'm logging off for the night. I've explained the likely culprits. I'd appreciate a favorable rating.

That just drains the boiler. It's not a purge station. Like I said before I don't see any purge stations in any of your pics. That means bleeders on the baseboard are the only place to get the air out IF the new baseboard is piped like the old radiators with a supply and return pipe off the main to each baseboard section

Doesn’t the baseboard need to work have heat to have pressured to bleed ?

NO, you only need at least 15 psi on the system to bleed it. System is usually off when bleeding

How much bleeding should I do one full cup per baseboard radiator ??

You bleed until you get a steady stream of water with no air coming out

Ok will try it keep u up dated

Ok

I bled all the baseboards still nothing I’m going to replace the water pump tonight and go from there?

ok

I bought a used pump today for $60 I installed it still not working I was a little upset because I took my old pump out And I plugged it with two wires and my old pump ran fine I should’ve thought of that first before I spend the $60 oh well ??
Only thing left I can think of is the Honeywell relay!! AQUASTAT RELAY TYPE L8148A ?

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

I can’t wait any longer thank you but I’m all set