HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Gibson air exchanger heat unit and AC, blowing

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a Gibson air exchanger heat unit and AC, blowing circuit braker

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Model GB5BM-T24k-B, sn GBD06060501619, filter is good clean breaking the braker 40 amp in Panel and on the heater side drawing 31 AMP

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I did notice their a 40 amp on panel, should it be 50 AMP ?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have a licsence electrian getting a new permit this week, if its the heater system after the panel replace, who in the NJ area services the heat unit. ?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
1/2/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 month ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, that is an air handler/ blower unit with electric resistance heaters.... if its drawing a total of 31 amps it should not trip a 40 amp breaker unless the breaker is bad.

You cannot increase the breaker size to 50 amps without installing larger wire.

.

That type of air handler is normally connected to a 'heat pump' (type of AC unit that runs in summer for cooling and winter for heating)..... it could be the problem ... it depends on how its all wired.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thx Phil , I have a HVAC TECH COMING IN THE MORNING, and we are also doing
A replacement panel, need to summit s permit in the morning with a license electrian contractor, so at this time, not sure where the problem is just yet
The breaker panel is a federal pacific that will be replaced in a few days thank you for your help on this matter,

Thats a good plan, and good to be get rid of that Federal panel as well, those are fire hazards.

.

Its time to rate my work for the day, that will get me paid as well, it will not increase your charges but is how I earn a living.

Locate the "finish and rate your expert' link near the top of your page and click on it... I will appreciate that very much, thanks!

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer