HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I just installed a 40 gallon LP gas water heater. The pilot…

Customer Question
I just installed a...

I just installed a 40 gallon LP gas water heater. The pilot lights up and will continue to burn. It will blink Blue 2 times and then go to blinking 5 Red error code. The furnace has never been fired up before. The system was purchased 2 days ago

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?

It is brand new

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It is already hooked up

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Gas tank was empty 2 weeks ago. Temperatures are freezing. Appears to be sufficient gas pressure. Keep getting 5 Red flashes, Temperature Sensor Error

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
1/1/2018
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 1 month ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

What's the brand and model of the water heater?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Rheem 40 Gallon LP gas hot water heater. 36,000 BTU. Do you need the exact model?

Yes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Rheem Performance Plus, Model XP40T09HE36UO, SN A301616883

Sounds like yo have a defective temp sensor or gas control valve. I'd call Rheem tomorrow and make a warranty claim.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. was hoping to discover the problem but if in the control I am at their mercy. Thanks

You're welcome. You have a valid warranty claim. They owe you new parts at no charge. In fact since it's brand new I'd press them to send someone out to fix it.

Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor