HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

XV95 furnace is not working. No heat. Blinking red light 3…

Customer Question
XV95 furnace is not...

XV95 furnace is not working. No heat. Blinking red light 3 times cleaned the filter

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes, I checked thermostat and filter

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Because of holiday hours, most likely I won't get any one to come to home today. So, I might have to do it myself.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It was working before we went on a 7 day vacation and when we came back it stopped working.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/1/2018
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 6 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

My name is Billy. When this code appears is the exhaust fan running that blows exhaust out the plastic pipe?

I am not sure. I don't hear any fan noise.

turn power off to furnace.

turn power on

set to heat and turn up

see if the small fan blows air out the exhaust vent pipe

Ok, let me try
No, it does not.
I see red light blinking three times, then pause, and then repeat again.

can you post a pic of the top area of furnace with door off so I can post direction?

Thank you....can you do that but to the section above?

Thanks

Thank you, see HERE

The motor is not warm but I hear a humming noise - but the motor is not running

Thank you....well we have a few choices but all are part related.

The exhaust motor is getting power but is bad = bad exhaust motor

The exhaust motor is NOT getting power = bad circuit board

The pressure switch shown here is stuck in the closed position = bad pressure switch.

As a short test..if you pull the brown wire from the pressure switch...

turn power off to furnace

turn power on

tell me if the exhaust fan starts with brown wire unhooked

can you please point out the wire in the pic?
I tried unhooking that but it is not coming out. Is it ok to pull harder?

yes...you may need to rock it end to end a bit while pulling

the wire is crimped into the pink connector...the pink connector is what will come off the terminal spade

trying to remove the pink connector but even after trying to pull while rocking is not helping. Will give it a few more tries.

try the other wire if the brown does not budge

tried after removing the yellow wire but no luck - exhaust fan did not start.

thank you....now it is either motor or circuit board...

Both of these will need to likely come from a Trane or American Standard dealer.

If you have a meter....

put meter leads on the wires going to the motor while 3 code...

if 120v is present = bad motor

No 120v is bad board

Ok - can you point out how to connect volt meter in a pic?

pardon the rudimentary drawing...here

set meter for 200 ac volts~...test an outlet first that you know works.

Remove the 2 yellow wires from the motor and connect the yellow wires to the meter leads