HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Can i change my intermittent pilot gas valve on my cgm-4 to…

Customer Question
Can i change my...

Can i change my intermittent pilot gas valve on my cgm-4 to a standing pilot gas valve ?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just installed this used boiler

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Would it be direct wire or do i need a new control box

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/1/2018
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, it can be done, but you need to change the rest of the control system as well, the ignition printed circuit board, etc. In summary its do-able but not practical. It bypasses many of the manufacturers safety provisions

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

is it less costly than changing thermocup, ingniter, i have the gas valve ?
plus less things to fail in the future

Thermocouple costs $20... any change from your existing pilot safety system compromises the safety of the furnace unless performed by a licensed gas appliance specialist.

I will opt out at that, so other experts can see your request.