HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Our furnace stopped working yesterday so, I looked in the…

Customer Question
Our furnace stopped working...

Our furnace stopped working yesterday so, I looked in the manual trouble shooting section for clues. The LED light was blinking three times, I checked the inlet air pipe located outside beside the exhaust pipe and there was some ice formed inside blocking/restricting the inlet. I removed the ice and the furnace started working. I also called the heating contractor that installed the furnace and the tech told me that this is a known issue with these furnaces. Is there a recommended fix?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes, it was just replaced last week

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes,if possible

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/1/2018
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 7 months ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

That is a pressure switch code, meaning the pressure switch is not closing when the exhaust fan is coming on. So you need to check and make sure the exhaust fan comes on first. You can cycle the power off to the unit at the switch or breaker for a minute and turn it back on to clear the code and restart a heat cycle making sure the thermostat is on or you have R to W jumpered on the board in the furnace. If the fan does not come on check the fan for power. If the fan does come on and nothing is plugged in the exhaust or intake vent then check the pressure tube for blockages. That is the rubber tube that connects the pressure switch to the blower housing. If that tube is blocked or cracked that code will come up. You need to check the port where the tube connects to the exhaust blower housing make sure that port is not blocked with crud. Normally it is one of these issues causing that code on the furnace. Lastly you have to check all condensate lines on the unit, especially the drain line that comes out of the inducer motor housing to make sure nothing is blocked causing a backup of condensate water.

Happy New Year!.....All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

It's none of the issues that you have described. The inlet air piping {located outside beside the condensate discharge line} gets ice build up from the exhaust condensate coming out. I believe that the lines should be farther apart, that way the condensate doesn't get sucked into the inlet line. Is there a recommended distance between these lines that AMANA recommends?

Yes they should be at least 2 foot apart or more and have the intake facing away from the exhaust they should be opposite.

Thank you! Happy New Year

You too!..All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!