HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a heil propane furnace, model 50F47-60, which has…

Customer Question
I have a heil...

I have a heil propane furnace, model 50F47-60, which has stopped. The blower comes on but then it won't fire. The red light on the controller blinks. Its 14 degrees now and I can't get a repairman to even answer the phone. Any suggestions?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

No but I will right now.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

The filter looked pretty clean. Just changed it about 3 weeks ago. Yes. I can't get anyone to even call me back.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't know much about how things work or what the parts are called but I don't mind taking things apart and getting dirty.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
12/31/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 month ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello.

Turn it OFF wait 5 minutes, go stand next to the furnace and listen *intently... have someone else turn the thermostat on and set to heat and 90F.

You should hear the inducer fan start, the 2 to 5 seconds later a *faint click, that would be the pressure switch closing, then in a 30 to 60 second window of time, you should hear two more faint clicks as the igniter and gas valve relays close.

then the main burners should start.

Listen to this sequence twice, tell me where it stalls, that will tell me if you will be able to repair it without parts or not.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer