HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We have an old weil-mclain boiler for radiant heat. Old

Customer Question
We have an old...

We have an old weil-mclain boiler for radiant heat

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Old boiler no filters, when the furnance comes on it makes a loud noice like something boiling; when I turn the thermostat down it goes away

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/31/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What you describe sounds like kettling which is caused by mineral build up inside the heat exchanger. It's not a problematic but it can be a nuisance. The boiler wold have to be acid flushed by a pro to get rid of the noise.