HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I am connecting a Nest Thermostat to my Trane xv80. Colored…

Customer Question
I am connecting a...

I am connecting a Nest Thermostat to my Trane xv80. Colored wires from old thermostat are blue to C, red to R

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Sorry hit send by mistake. Blue to C, red to R

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. Old thermostat and trane heater were working just fine.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The wiring from furnace to old thermostat is blue to C, red to R, white to W, green to G, brown to W2, and yellow to Y. Connected wires in kind to the nest. When power restored nest dead.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 1 month ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Do you have a volt meter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Last question was do you have a volt meter. I responded yes. Now a charge for $23 just came against my credit card
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello is anyone there?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On phone with my credit card company

OK you should check between R and C for 24 volts if you do not have it there then you need what likely happened is the low voltage fuse in the furnace or airhandler blew. There typically is a SLOT STYLE 3-5AMP FUSE on the board itself inside the furnace/airhandler like this.

CLICK HERE

If that is burned out all power to the thermostat will be lost. 95% of all units use some sort of SLOT FUSE or inline BUS STYLE FUSE to protect the low voltage circuit. You need to find that and change it out. If you just bump two wires together you could have just popped it without even knowing it. Now if for some reason your unit does not use a fuse often the board will be damaged due to the short. You would need to confirm you have 24 volts to the board inside the furnace/airhandler with a volt meter to make sure though.

Note if you have a condensate pump check the float and make sure the pump is not full of water...as that could cut low voltage power to the unit as well if the pump is not working and full of water

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You did answer my question. Why did you charge me $23. I did not agree to talking on the phone. I replied yes to your question " Do I have a volt meter?" Please refund my $23
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I meant you did "not" answer

Did you not get my response with link above?

The site has you pay $5 towards the question amount. The only way they can keep good experts on answering all year long and on Holidays is by paying us. If everythign was only $5 the site would not run nor would you have anyone here to help you. This will fix the issue and you saved $250 from a tech coming out to do the job, plus it is New Years Eve so please understand there are costs involved to keep everything going. I am sorry if the site did not explain that well, but usually it is pretty clear the 5 dollar deposit is just for the initial amount then the question ranges between 25-50 dollars. Note I am the expert and only am paid a small amount ONLY if you give a good rating otherwise I just am working for free on top of it. Thanks and if you need more help let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The $5 Was to continue. I was prompted for $23 I would be able to talk directly on the phone with you. I did not agree to that.

OK take care, I just hope that whatever job you do for a living you do that for free on a holiday or for $5. Happy New Year

HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH