HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Heat pump blowing cold air, Yes have checked thermostat,

Customer Question
Heat pump blowing cold...

Heat pump blowing cold air

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Yes have checked thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Fan turns on and thermostat was reset

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/31/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, heat pumps cease heating when its colder than 10 or 20F outside and rely on back up booster heat in that case to heat the house,

Tell me what the outside and inside air temperatures are please., that will let me know if you have booster heat or not and if its working.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

We are in Florida. It’s in the 50s
Booster heat not working
House is very cold
House is 60

Thanks gently pry the thermostat off the wall, and use a multi meter to measure voltage across the R and C terminals... if you do not have 24vac there, look for a blown 3 amp fuse on the air handlers printed circuit board.

We can go from there

We have an rc and an rh which one?
by terminals do you mean where the wires are or on the back of the unit where the batteries are?
Says 2.8
Is that 28?

Either Rh or Rc they are jumpered together at the thermostat on most systems

I mean the wires attached to the wall mounted plate that remains after you remove the thermostat.

.

28 volts would be good, its unlikely you have 2.8 volts

Connect Rh, W/E and G wires, that will run the emergency heat

You can take them off of the thermostat sub base and twist them together

Emergency heat also runs cold

In that case you do not have any emergency heat installed (common if florida)....if the blower runs we know that your 24volt control circuit is OK. The problem is with the heat pump itself, one of its printed circuit boards or a sensor is bad...

.

If you want help locating a well qualified service outfit, in some areas not common in Florida. tell me which direction you are from the center of the the nearest town and I will see who I can find for you.

I was expecting help with figuring out if I had bad sensors?

I stand ready and able to help you on an unlimited time basis on any aspect of the system you need help on.

.

Use the add files link to send me a close up, well focused photo of the wiring diagram glued to the heat pumps electrical controls box (inside the heat pump) and I will mark it up with trouble shooting instructions

Add files link is next to your send button

Another question is why two of three of the limit sensors are not connected? Does that matter? I’ll go take a pic.

Thanks for the photo's the wiring diagram is too far gone to be useful,... the heat pump itself from the look of it is 40 or 50 years old, way past its normal life span and in a condition that few if any reputable service outfits would accept money for working on it.

You will not be able to find any parts, including defrost controls for that system, the compressor and 4 way valve will already be worn past any hope of efficient operation.

.

I will opt out in case other of our experts here want to get involved..