HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Courier 9300TS LED light on board is dim, not bright, about…

Customer Question
Courier 9300TS LED light...

Courier 9300TS LED light on board is dim, not bright

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About an hour

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HVAC
12/31/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, is that a Carrier thermostat? TS indicates thermostat, but then you said the LED on the BOARD (which is inside the furnace as a rule) is dim.... can you clarify? LED's are either lit or not lit, I guess its possible to have a dim one but in my 58 years in the business all is LIT or not lit, never dim.

.

Take close up, exceedingly well focused photo's of the wiring diagram glued inside the furnace/air handler door, and the printed circuit board mounted on the blower, , that shows where the thermostat wires connect, and I will mark them up with trouble shooting instructions.

Use the 'add files' link next to your send button to get the photo(s) to me.

.

We can go from there with training, coaching and diagnosis.... without a time limit, In depth with as much detail as needed .

.

When we finally get the situation solved, please select the 'finish and rate your expert link' near the top of your page and click on it.

.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

,

Thanks, ***** ***** between R and C both at the furnace thermostat terminal strip and at the thermostat... if you have 24vac between those two at the thermostat, and the thermostat is dark. replace its batteries if it has any. set the thermostat to heat and up to 90F

IF that fails, jumper R to W1 at the furnace thermostat terminal strip then close the blower door door switch manually, if the furnace comes on then the thermostat is bad.

We can go from there without a time limit.

Ok changed out thermostat code is one long two short
I am changing out old Honeywell Progam to new Honeywell Wi-Fi I turned off furnace installed blue wire on furnace panel common. Replace thermostat. Turned on furnace. I reverted back to old thermostat and I have heat. Still cannot figure out why yellow light is dim compared to my other furnace which is bright.
Almost gives me the indication not enough power to feed the new thermostat

The photo of the yellow led showed a bright LED if that is the one you are talking about.

Did you check power between R and C at the thermostat and at the printed circuit board? tell me which color of wire is attached to C at the thermostat, we can go from there

It is much brighter in the picture then in real life

Thanks, ***** ***** be surprised however if the dimness at that level is a sign of trouble.

You still need to use a multi meter to measure the voltages across R and C terminals I need, you can buy a decent one for $30 at any hardware store

ok have the meter set it for DCV 20, it moves between -1 and +5
Now I get a code 24

set meter to 0-100 volts AC and measure again

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer